1. What is the supreme law of the land?
- The Constitution
2. How many amendments does the Constitution have?
- Twenty-seven (27)
3. What is the economic system in the United States?
- Capitalist economy
- Market economy
4. Name one power of the U.S Congress.
- Writes laws
- Declares wars
- Makes the federal budget
5. What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now?
- Nancy Pelosi
6. The President of the United States is elected for how many years?
- Four (4)
7. What is the name of the President of the United States now?
- Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.
- Joe Biden
8. What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?
- Kamala Devi Harris
- Kamala D. Harris
9. Who vetoes bills?
- The President (of the United States)
10. What is the highest court in the United States?
- The Supreme Court
11. Who is the Governor of your state now?
- Answers will vary. [District of Columbia residents should answer that D.C.does not have a Governor]. Residents of U.S. territories should name the capital of the territory.]
12. What do we show loyalty to when we say the Pledge of Allegiance?
- The United States
- The flag
13. Who lived in America before the Europeans arrived?
- American Indians
- Native Americans
14. Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
- (Thomas) Jefferson
15. George Washington is famous for many things. Name one.
- ”Father of our country”
- First president of the United States
- General of the continental army
- President of the Constitutional Convention
16. Abraham Lincoln is famous for many things. Name one.
- Freed the slaves (Emancipation Proclamation)
- Saved (or preserved) the Union
- Led the United States during the Civil War
- 16th president of the United States
- Delivered the Gettysburg Address
17. Martin Luther King, Jr. is famous for many things. Name one
- Fought for civil rights
- Worked for equality for all Americans
- Worked to ensure that people would “Not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”
18. What major event happened on September 11, 2001, in the United States?
- Terrorists attacked the United States
- Terrorists took over two planes and crashed them into the World Trade Center in New York City
- Terrorists took over a plane and crashed it into the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia
- Terrorists took over a plane originally aimed at Washington, D.C. and crashed in a field in Pennsylvania
19. Why does the flag have 13 stripes?
- Because there were 13 original colonies
- Because the stripes represent the original colonies
20. Name three national U.S holidays.
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Presidents Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day