News of interest

Stay informed, about the latest events

Global Entry program to cease for newyorkers as punishment for Green Light Law

Global Entry program to cease for newyorkers as punishment for Green Light Law
Trump administration reacts against issuing Driver Licenses to undocumented immigrants by denying newyorkers the ability to qualify for the Global Entry program which allows citizens and permanent residents to expedite their border crosing into the country.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is not letting New York state residents enroll in its Global Entry  program, that allows certain low rosk travellers to rush through the border with expedite clearance. The decision was taken after New York´s Green Light Law, that allows undocumented aliens to obtain a Driver´s License in the state.

New York state expanded the type of identification that can be used to apply for a driver’s license, which now include a valid foreign driver’s license, a passport or identification from an applicant’s home country along with a foreign birth certificate. Problem is, an alien without legal immigration status can still get a Driver´s License and use it as a form of idetification to, among other things, travel.

New York is one of 15 states in the U.S. with green light laws, which allow undocumented immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses. Other states with similar laws on the books are California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, New Mexico, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, and Washington. In addition, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico have green light laws.

The Trump administration has specifically criticized New York’s law for including a provision that bars officials at the NY Department of Motor Vehicles from sharing data with immigration authorities without orders from a judge.

Green Light Law, on the other hand, is not relevant to the Global Entry program because none of the individuals who get licenses under the Green Light Law are eligible to receive a Trusted Traveler document anyhow.  In fact, in order to obtain the document, you must be a citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident of the USA.

To apply for Global Entry, a traveler must schedule an interview at an enrollment center and provide a valid passport plus either a driver’s license or ID card. Lawful permanent residents must present a green card.